Thursday, October 11, 2012

Explaining the groove ...



I promised a blog post to explain where I have been for the past year or so and why I decided to return. Like everything else I say or do, it's rather complicated but I promise to provide the abbreviated version. Plus, leaving something to the imagination is always a good idea. 

A long, long time ago, I used to be a writer. Then one day I grew tired of working as a writer and went off on a tangent to make lots of money in the mortgage industry. I do not advise doing something for the money. Life is too short. The end.


Still, my inner obsession with transformation and beautification always kept me connected in some way to creative ventures. I worked part-time for an interior designer doing faux painting and installs, and eventually began to work on my own. I took painting classes and became more confident in myself and my own abilities and eventually me and mortgage just had to break up.

One day my friend Debi started to blog, and because she is our trendsetter and we all want to be her when we grow up, I started to blog as well. All kidding aside, I initially saw blogging as a way to promote my business but didn't give it much more thought than that. I began to doubt: Was I trying to be a blog personality girl and get famous, hang out with Nate and get a book deal? No. I didn't have the time or motivation to become that vision of a blogger and besides: I was too busy working! 

What was the purpose of blogging and who cared? What service was I providing? Who knows? I wandered off into "I don't have anything to say" mode -- again. 

And then there's the negative voice thing. I'll save that for another post because this is so long I can sense cobwebs forming already. If I forget, please remind me. It's good. 

And facebook. That damn facebook is a huge time sucker and zapped all the time I had for blogging. Go ahead: consider it amongst yourselves right now. I am so right on this. 

From time to time, people would tell me they missed my blog. The other day I must have had 39 seconds available to think about business development and I began to consider my lack of web presence. I had/have a website but I don't have time for finding a website geek person, keeping it current, making sure the stupid web hosting contract stays paid and all that nonsense. During my recent life simplification crusade, let's just say all that godaddy crap was one of the casualties. Good riddance. 

Lightbulb moment: What if my handy blog became my totally free, user-friendly web presence? I put up pictures of my work, but also gorgeous pics to inspire. And along the way we discover the world and solve all the big issues in life. It's perfect!

So there you have it. I guess I'll have a blog again. But I don't want it to be all about me, me, me. Hopefully we can have a little back and forth, this and that. 

No comments: